Friday, May 3, 2013

Book Review: The Lit Report

The Lit Report

Author: Sarah N. Harvey

Release Date: October 1, 2008


Publisher: Orca Book Publishers


Dates Read: March 25 - 27, 2012


How Acquired: Borrowed from the library


DescriptionJulia and Ruth have been unlikely best friends since they first met in Sunday school-- Ruth was standing on the Bible-crafts table belting out "Jesus Loves Me." Now that they're a year away from graduation, they're putting the finishing touches on their getaway plans. But their dream of a funky big-city loft and rich, interesting older men is threatened when preacher's daughter Ruth goes to a wild party without studious Julia, and all hell breaks loose. Ruth gets pregnant; Julia gets creative. Determined to support her friend and stay on track for life after high school, Julia comes up with a plan that will require all her intelligence, compassion, ingenuity and patience. Drawing on some great (and some not-so-great) works of literature, Julia proves that you can learn a lot just by opening up a book. (Taken from Goodreads.com)


My Review: This is another book I chose because of the cover. I love to read and the image of all of those books with the baby bonnet on top just spoke to me. As a mother, I thought I might have more in common with this book than I did. (What was I thinking?!?! It's based on high school students, haha.) This was another quick, easy read. The story was easy to follow and one that you wanted to continue reading and find out what happened. The characters were a little underdeveloped, but you got the jest of it. Julia spends all her time preparing for and worrying about the future. But when her best friend, Ruth, turns up pregnant, things change. It was interesting to see Ruth's reaction to the pregnancy and her gradual acceptance of the idea and the situation. I would have liked to see a little more back story about Ruth's parents. What made her father go from a life in prison to a pastor that eventually wrote her off for her "harlot" ways. Overall, it was a cute book. A decent story. A quick read. A little twist of love in there. I enjoyed it.


My Rating: I liked it

No comments:

Post a Comment