Thursday, April 25, 2013

Book Review: My Boyfriend Wrote a Book About Me

My Boyfriend Wrote a Book About Me

Author: Hilary Winston

Release Date: May 3, 2011


Publisher: Sterling


Dates Read: January 19 - 24, 2012

How Acquired: Borrowed from a friend

DescriptionTV writer Hilary Winston offers up a witty collection of autobiographical tales about her misadventures in dating.

Just when Hilary feels like her life is finally in order, she gets a sucker-punch to the gut: Her ex has written a novel based on their relationship in which he refers to her throughout as the fat-assed girlfriend.” Her response to this affront is just one of the many hilarious stories in My Boyfriend Wrote a Book About Me--a laugh-out-loud, tell-all in which Hilary sets the record straight on all her exes.(Taken from Goodreads.com)


My Review: I was not impressed with this book...at all. From the title and the jacket it looked like it was going to be really amusing, but it wasn't. I mean, she wrote for My Name is Earl (which I loved) and Community (which I liked). But the book just didn't do it for me. It was just a whole bunch of over-sharing about her numerous sexual encounters and I wasn't all that impressed. There may have been a time or two that I chuckled out loud, but I'm not even sure those were warranted. And let's just throw this out there...the epilogue TOTALLY ruined all comedic writing that was supposed to have happened in the rest of the book. What a total buzz kill. Overall the book was ok. I kept waiting for it to get better, but it never did. Then I got to the point where I said to myself, "you've come this far, you may as well finish." And so I finished it, but I was mostly just glad to be done. I'm bummed that it wasn't better...because I really wanted it to be. But oh well...you win some, you lose some.


My Rating: I did not like it

No comments:

Post a Comment