Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Book Review: Legend

Legend


Author: Marie Lu

Release Date: November 29, 2011


Publisher: Putnam Juvenile


Dates Read: April 11 - 19, 2013

How Acquired: Borrowed from library

DescriptionWhat was once the western United States is now home to the Republic, a nation perpetually at war with its neighbors. Born into an elite family in one of the Republic’s wealthiest districts, fifteen-year-old June is a prodigy being groomed for success in the Republic’s highest military circles. Born into the slums, fifteen-year-old Day is the country’s most wanted criminal. But his motives may not be as malicious as they seem.

From very different worlds, June and Day have no reason to cross paths—until the day June’s brother, Metias, is murdered and Day becomes the prime suspect. Caught in the ultimate game of cat and mouse, Day is in a race for his family’s survival, while June seeks to avenge Metias’s death. But in a shocking turn of events, the two uncover the truth of what has really brought them together, and the sinister lengths their country will go to keep its secrets.

Full of nonstop action, suspense, and romance, this novel is sure to move readers as much as it thrills.(Taken from Goodreads.com)


My Review:  I will admit that I only picked up this book because when I went to the library Insurgent was already checked out.  I was really bummed, but wanted a new book to begin over the weekend, so I decided to take a look at this one since I'd seen it reviewed on several of the blogs I follow.  I really liked this book.  I thought the concept was pretty interesting.  And the idea of the divided nation and the colonies versus the republic was really cool.  What I didn't like about this book, however, was the fact that Day and June are so freaking similar.  I mean literally, they are like the exact same person, but born into different circumstances.  So maybe that's the way it is supposed to be...to show you how a person's social status can mold their entire persona...but I was bored with it.  Yes, he was a bad boy and she was a good girl, but their personalities were so similar that it irritated me.  Overall, I really liked the book...and I plan to read the second one...I just wish June and Day had a little more independent personalities.  

Side Note: The voices in the trailer are AWFUL.  It makes the book sound so cheesy and childish.  Yuck!

My Rating: I really liked it


No comments:

Post a Comment