Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Book Review: Divergent

Divergent

Author: 

Release Date: May 3, 2011


Publisher: Katherine Tegen Books


Dates Read: April 4 - 11, 2013

How Acquired: Borrowed from library

Description: 
In Beatrice Prior's dystopian Chicago, society is divided into five factions, each dedicated to the cultivation of a particular virtue--Candor (the honest), Abnegation (the selfless), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), and Erudite (the intelligent). On an appointed day of every year, all sixteen-year-olds must select the faction to which they will devote the rest of their lives. For Beatrice, the decision is between staying with her family and being who she really is--she can't have both. So she makes a choice that surprises everyone, including herself.

During the highly competitive initiation that follows, Beatrice renames herself Tris and struggles to determine who her friends really are--and where, exactly, a romance with a sometimes fascinating, sometimes infuriating boy fits into the life she's chosen. But Tris also has a secret, one she's kept hidden from everyone because she's been warned it can mean death. And as she discovers a growing conflict that threatens to unravel her seemingly perfect society, she also learns that her secret might help her save those she loves . . . or it might destroy her.
Debut author Veronica Roth bursts onto the literary scene with the first book in the Divergent series--dystopian thrillers filled with electrifying decisions, heartbreaking betrayals, stunning consequences, and unexpected romance. (Taken from Goodreads.com)

My Review: Oh em gee.  Seriously!  How have I waited so long to read this book?  I have seen it being talked about on all the book blogs for over a year now and I just got around to reading it.  I have no idea what I was waiting for.  It was amazing.  I 100% love love love this book.  It reminded me a bit of The Hunger Games in that it was a dystopian, had a strong female lead and they were all training.  But it really was a complete different story all together.  The concept of the book was really unique with the different factions that the teenagers have to choose to join.  It took me a few chapters before I finally memorized what all of the factions virtues were.  Once I had that memorized, I found it was much easier to follow the characters and what was going on.  I was not at all shocked by Four's identity, since the book has been around for a while I had seen it on the blogs.  I don't think it hindered my ability to enjoy the story though.  It wasn't like Tris knew him back in Abnegation anyway.  I never really saw the ending coming, but I could tell that something was brewing.  One thing I disliked about the book was the way it ended.  I mean, I get it, you want us to buy the second book and if we liked the first one, we will.  You don't have to just drop off like mid-freaking-sentence and make us wait forever-and-a-day before we see what else is going to happen.  I mean, maybe I am overreacting. They were on the train headed towards safety, but still.  I needed a bit more closure than that.  Overall, I loved it.  It was great.  I can't wait to read Insurgent.  Yay!


My Rating: It was amazing



No comments:

Post a Comment