Monday, April 4, 2016

Review: True Detective Season 1

(from thetvdb.com)

Summary from IMDb:  In 2012, Louisiana State Police Detectives Rust Cohle and Martin Hart are brought in to revisit a homicide case they worked in 1995. As the inquiry unfolds in present day through separate interrogations, the two former detectives narrate the story of their investigation, reopening unhealed wounds, and drawing into question their supposed solving of a bizarre ritualistic murder in 1995. The timelines braid and converge in 2012 as each man is pulled back into a world they believed they'd left behind. In learning about each other and their killer, it becomes clear that darkness lives on both sides of the law.

My Review

Ok, so I finally finished this.  I seriously struggled getting through it.  Thank goodness it was only 8 episodes.  I think I am partially to blame because I didn't devote 100% of my attention to watching it, but that doesn't normally cause problems for me, so I'm not sure.

Anyway, I found the overall plot a bit hard to follow. With the flipping back and forth between 1995 and 2012, I got caught up in the story about the detectives and their personal lives and it caused me to like completely miss what the actual case was about.  

I enjoyed the relationship between Rust Cohle (Matthew McConaughey) and Martin Hart (Woody Harrelson).  More in the 1995 years since Rust got progressively weirder as the times passed.  Basically their entire relationship can be summed up in these six screen caps.  







The show wasn't awful. I probably would have been able to follow the case better if I'd devoted my full attention to it, but oh well.  In my opinion, the relationship between Rust and Martin was the best part of the whole show.  Other than that, I don't really have a lot to say about it.  Shit review, I know.  Sorry!

No comments:

Post a Comment