Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Book Review: The Julian Game

The Julian Game


Author:   

Release Date: August 26, 2010


Publisher:   Putnam Juvenile


Dates Read:  March 22 - 25, 2012

How Acquired:  Borrowed from the library

Description:  All new girl Raye Archer wants is a way into the in crowd, so when ice-queen Ella Parker picks her to get back at her ex, the gorgeous Julian Kilgarry, Raye is more than game. Even if it means creating a fake Facebook identity so she can learn enough about Julian to sabotage him. It's a fun and dangerous thrill at first, but Raye hadn't counted on falling for Julian herself-and igniting Ella's rage.

As Raye works to reconcile the temptress Elizabeth with her real-life self, Ella serves up her own revenge, creating an online smear campaign of nasty rumors and trashy photographs. Suddenly notorious, Raye has to find a way out of the web of deceit that she's helped to build, and back to the relationships that matter.


Adele Griffin's riveting novel explores the issues of generation Facebook: the desire to be someone else, real versus online friends, and the pitfalls and fallouts of posting your personal life online for all the world to judge.   (Taken from Goodreads.com)

My Review: I love the cover of this book. I will admit that the cover is why I picked it up in the first place. The electric blue hair, the gorgeous green gloves, the mysteriousness of the eyes being covered. I love everything about it. But did the book live up to the awesomness of it's cover? Eh...a little. I thought the book was good. It was a quick, easy read. But it wasn't anything extraordinary. It is good for raising awareness about cyber-bullying. In the book, Raye and her friend, who are students at an all-girl school, create a fake Facebook account in order to "friend" people they could never associate with due to their social status. Everything goes awry and Raye ends up getting cyber-bulled by one of the "popular" girls in school. I thought the story was well written. There were parts of it that I found odd, some of the language that was used I just found strange. I even had to stop once or twice to see if the author was American (random, I know). Anyway. Overall it was a good read. Nothing to rave about, but a fun read. I still think the cover is fantastic though. I totally want some of those gloves.

My Rating:  Liked It

No comments:

Post a Comment